Saturday, January 25, 2014

Review: 'Wrecked' by Priscilla West


Wrecked by Priscilla West
Wrecked #1
Publication Date: December 11, 2013
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Reviewed By: Christina Mock
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Purchase Links: Paperback | Kindle | Nook 


Synopsis:

“There would be no happy ending for us. He was too damaged. I was too broken.”

Two years ago, Lorrie’s mother was murdered. But that wasn’t the end of it. Reeling from the tragedy, Lorrie’s father spiraled into alcohol, depression, and finally suicide.

The two most important people in Lorrie’s life are both gone but she’s still alive.

Trying to recover from the tragedy, Lorrie returns to campus, ready to pick up the pieces of her life. All Lorrie wants is to get back to “normal.”

Then she meets Hunter. The man, the legend, “the Hammer.”

Hunter is a cage fighter who takes on every fight like he’s got nothing to lose. His life is a tangled mess of girls, booze, and fist fights. And while it may seem like he’s got a devil-may-care attitude, he’s fighting a private cage-match with a monster he can’t defeat.

Lorrie knows that Hunter is the exact type of guy she should stay away from, especially in her fragile state, but Hunter has other ideas.

As Hunter and Lorrie grow closer together, will they be able to overcome their pain and heal each other? Or will they both end up wrecked?

WRECKED
RESCUED (WRECKED BOOK TWO: Coming Early 2014)


Review:

I knew from the very first pages that I was starting a book that was going to mess with my emotions, possibly even leave me with an ugly cry. Seriously, the book actually starts like this:

There would be no happy ending for us. He was too damaged. I was too broken. Things between us shouldn’t have gone this far I the first place. Then this never would’ve happened. If only I’d been stronger. If only I hadn’t said those words, if only we were different people—not the lost, scared and broken people that we were…then we wouldn’t be in this wreck.


I mean, I was asking for it, right? VERY. FIRST. PAGE. And oh yeah, I started it at one in the morning….

Lorrie is a college sophomore. She is just making her way back to school after taking a year and a half off to deal with personal tragedies. Unfortunately her small, private college is a hotbed of gossip and she finds herself the topic of many whispered conversations around campus. She finds it hard to get close to anyone and keeps everyone except for her best friend and suite-mate Daniela at arm’s length. When a series of random events has her crossing paths with Hunter “the hammer” Jensen, she must decide if she is ready to pursue a relationship with a new friend, and perhaps even more.

Hunter is a college senior who pays his tuition by fighting in MMA cage matches. He’s good. Really good, and there’s not a girl on campus that wouldn’t like to get a piece of him…unless of course they already have, and there were certainly plenty who have had a taste of Hunter. But when Hunter meets Lorrie, he soon finds she’s nothing like any of the other girls he has ever met, much less dated. Can he convince Lorrie to give him a chance at friendship? Or do his own secrets keep him just as unlikely to pursue a healthy relationship?

This is the first book I have read that has an MMA/fighter storyline, so I have no basis to compare it to, other than other NA and contemporary romances I have read. That said, I loved this book. Ms. West has created characters that are really, truly broken and the burgeoning relationship between Lorrie and Hunter is painful, at best. It seems truly doomed from the start, however we are given characters with such depth that you can’t help but root for them and a happy ending. I loved the characters and I loved the heat of the relationship between the two, it was certainly steamy!

My biggest complaint with Wrecked however, is that it ends in a cliffhanger, and a pretty major one at that. I generally try to steer clear of series books that I can’t pick up the next one right away. What can I say, I’m impatient! But, if you’re willing to hold out for the next book in the series,Rescuedwhen it comes out early this year, I say GO FOR IT! (Or if you don’t mind cliffhangers!) It is an excellent, well written, fast, easy read that I stayed up all night reading for. Wrecked is a four and a half star read, and I’m only taking off the half of a star for the cliffhanger. I’ll be checking my email regularly for updates of the next books release!



No comments:

Post a Comment